hardware MPEG2 decoding

Curtis Fulton writes:
 > Hi folks.
 >
 > I've read the list archives but I'm still having trouble getting a grip on
 > whether the Siemens DVB card and Linux drivers can do what I need.
 >
 > I'm looking for a card with Linux drivers that can read MPEG2 data from
 > stdin, decode it and send the uncompressed data to X, SVGA, etc.

Yes, it can do that.
But it only supports MPEG sound, not AC3.

 > I need either non-square pixel support so I can stretch 720x544 images to
 > 960x544, or the ability to read 960x544 sized files, give or take a few
 > pixels.

I donīt think the MPEG decoder can handle 960x544 directly.
The PCI bridge (SAA7146) can scale this horizontally to max. 1024
pixels. So, scaling to 960x544 should work.

 > I would love to be able to encode as well.  Can the Siemens encode?  If
 > so, can it encode data coming from the filesystem/stdin?

No, it cannot encode. Encoder cards still cost a little bit more money.

 > If this card and it's drivers can't do these things under Linux, does
 > anyone know if one does exist?

I donīt think there is any supported MPEG2 encoder card yet.

Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index