Re: Making the PC/STB work as a DVB gateway to the home (or office) L AN

At 10:02 23-5-00 +0300, Rod.Walsh@nokia.com wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Has anyone set-up the DVB card on a separate box (PC?) from the one they're
>accessing the EON service? The first box would be a kind of DVB gateway.
>I think you would need to separate the HW drivers (on to the gateway) and

Yes, I have. You setup a linux box with the DVB card and install
ipmasquerading and squid. Ipmaqsquering is for sharing the internet
connection and squid for the web proxy. You load the dvb drivers and the
cyberlogin/dvbd program. In squid you set the EON proxy as the parent proxy
(with your login when using the new proxies with authentication) and you're
ready to go.

>the login client (on every terminal PC connected to the local network).

On the client side you use ip's assigned for private lans (e.g. 10.x.x.x,
or 192.168.x.x) or use dhcp (you need to run a dhcpd on the linux box) and
set the gateway adress to the ip of the linux box. That's all :-)

>Any experiences?

Works great, especially when many users are surfing the internet at the
same. I've seen speeds up to 3 Mbit!!! But lately with EON switching to the
new proxies, the speed is minimal. But I assume that will be fixed in the
next few weeks (hopefully)

Grtz Gerben.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index