Re: Multi threads downloader

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 01:50:19AM +0300, Doru MARIN wrote:
> There is an user interface for wget, kwebget. It's a KDE tool.
> By using simple command-line "wget" you'll get some headaches sometimes.
> Some m$oft utilities are able to use more than one process, to retrieve
> more parts of a big file, simultanely. It's simple, they use "reget" ftp
> command in each process. I wish to see that on Linux, too.
>
> Doru.
>

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Carsten Koch wrote:
>
> > Paul Lacatus wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anybody knows a Multi threaded download like Mass downloader from
> > > Meta products on Linux ?
> >
> > Maybe I am way off, because I do not know what problem you want to
> > solve, but what's wrong with just using multiple copies of wget?
> >
> > Carsten.

I don't like these fscked downloaders and discourage users of using them.
>From the user point of view It's ok, but on the other hand my squid goes
crazy. And let's get am example scenario:

1. Client is using such kind of multithreaded downloader.
2. Proxy is squid type.
3. Server from wich download is, does not support resuming.

In this case downloader says to squid get for me file.zip at positions 0k,
1000k, 2000k, 3000k... because of lack of capabilities at the server side,
the squid will handle such a request by downloading file from 0k, then
from 0 to 1000k, then from 0 to 2000k....
Believe me you won't like to see this happening at your site. Even flowcontrol
brokes. Virtualy squid download file at same speed as client, but when above
scenario occurs, squid must to download at full speed between 0 and 1000k...

um!

Excuse me for the poor english.

--
          Theodor Milkov           Administrator IP Networks

Home | Main Index | Thread Index