Re: some thoughts on /dev/video ...

Guido Fiala writes:
 > >The tuner driver of the DVB driver should be compatible with the
 > >kernel driver and should work with the tuners bttv uses.
 > >If not, please tell me. I donīt (and never did) use the tuner input of
 > >the bttv driver much (only for testing) and donīt even have a Bt card
 > >with tuner installed right now (I really have to get one of those new boards
 > >with 6 PCI slots ...).
 >
 > I use the 2.2.14-kernel-bttv and i don't get tuning with the dvb-tuner.o in
 > xawtv - no station tunes in (autoloading the kernel-tuner.o without options
 > does work).
 > Maybe i just did'nt understand it right: if i do "make insmod" in dvb/driver
 > all these modules load, then i "modprobe bttv" and can start "xawtv
 > -c/dev/video1" - but how does the bttv.o know about the previously
 > loaded tuner.o?

The I2C driver knows about the tuner driver and tells bttv when it
registers its I2C bus.

 > If the DVB-S-Card (only DVB-C!?) would have a composite/svhs input, i would

Yes, only the DVB-C card has an optional analog video module with
SAA7113 video decoder and MSP34XX for audio/video switching.

 > use 2 of them (ha, would be great if it could convert it to MPEG2 ... ok, just
 > a dream ;-)

Sorry, it cannot do that. But there will be a card with Linux drivers
for that soon. You can encode analog video to MPEG2 with that card and
play it back on the DVB card.

Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index