Re: remote DVB watching ?

Michael Holzt wrote:

> > > Do you think it would be possible to convert a pva stream to mpeg2
> > > in real time?
> > Yes, definitely.
> > There is no de- or re-compression involved.
>
> I hat a mail conversation with Marcus Metzler about this. The problem
> seems to be, that the pva is missing some parameters which are needed
> for recreating a correct mpg-file.

It may be hard, but it cannot be impossible.
After all, the PVA file can be played back correctly,
so all the information is there. Anything that can be
played back correctly can be converted to proper MPEG.

> Btw: Technotrends Converter for Windows doesn't create correct mpg-files
> as well. The resulting files can be played on Windows Media Player but
> not on for example my DVD-Decoding-Card. I asked Technotrend if they would
> donate the Source under the GPL however but with no reaction yet.

Read the README file in the DVB directory.
Technotrend does not seem to be very cooperative.
That's why only the Siemens clone of the Technotrend
card is officially supported.
Btw: I'd recommend that everyone who wants to buy such
a card should buy it from Siemens and let the Siemens
people know that you bought it because Linux drivers
are available.

> > > what about getting real mpeg2 output right out of the card?
> > That would definitely be the best solution.
> > I do not think there is any need for the PVA format at all.
>
> Afaik it is a firmware restriction, so it is the only way right now
> until Technotrend changes their firmware.

I thought convergence has source for the firmware?
Would it not be possible to repair the firmware so
it outputs proper MPEG?
If not, would it not at least be possible to repair
the firmware so the data sent by it would it make
easier for the driver to convert it to proper MPEG?

In any event I think it is a bad idea to see a proprietary
data format at any place outside the driver.

I believe even Technotrend has realized that - in spite
of the fact that they were the ones who made that design
mistake in the first place. That's why they wrote the
external converter. It would be nice if Linux were smarter
and would not expose the PVA format at all.

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index