Re: RGB to S-Video

lars@skynet.e.ruhr.de wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 03:46:08AM +0200, Carsten Koch wrote:
> > "Ralph Metzler <" wrote:
> > > CVBS_YC_OUT   -  Composite on Composite-Out, C on RED-out, Y on GREEN-out
> > > YC_OUT        -  Y on Composite-out, C on RED-out
> > >
> > > So, you can use CVBS + (RGB or YC) or only YC output.
> >
> > Excellent news, Ralph! Thanks!
>
> That's right.
>
> > I will make an YC connector for my card next weekend.
>
> Please let us know if it works. I'm really interested in this.

I made the adapter and the driver mod.
It works. And the picture quality is visibly better!   :-)

I found Reichelt Elektronik (http://www.reichelt.de) to be a cheap
and fast source for quality parts.
For example, the S-Video cable costs DM 1.80 there and has
gold-plated plugs. Conrad charges DM 9.95 for a lower quality cable.
Also, my order got here within 2 days. My Conrad orders usually
take at least a week.

I used the following parts:

AK 660     (slot cover, 6-pin Mini-DIN socket, jumper cable, jumper plug)
AVK 157    (S-Video cable)
EB-DIO M04 (4-pin Mini-DIN socket)

Unfortunately, the 6-pin Mini-DIN (hosiden) socket and the
4-pin Mini-DIN socket are not compatible, so I had to take
the 6-pin Mini-DIN socket off and attach the 4-pin Mini-DIN
socket to the slot cover using a home-made metal sheet.
I also had to re-wire the jumper plug, which is easy when
you carefully lift up the tabs on the side of the plug.

Check out http://kabelfaq.de for the hosiden plug pinout.

For the driver mod, I inserted a
                VidMode(dvb, CVBS_YC_OUT);
at the end of InitFront.