Re: diffrence between manufactures

on Tue, 26 Sep 2000 you wrote:

>  > looks like there is no firmware, right?
>
> Yes, but not for the same reason as in other cases.
>
> The firmware (at least the application part, the firmware core is
> in ROM on-chip) is normally loaded by the driver during init.
> The firmware is written through the so-called DEBI-port of the SAA7146
> into a dual-ported RAM and from there into DRAM which is used directly
> by the AV7110.
> At the beginning of the firmware download routine the DEBI-port writes
> some bytes to the dual-ported RAM and reads them back to test the
> DEBI-port. This basic test failed in your case!
>
> > Sep 26 18:35:28 love kernel: bootarm: debi test failed!!
>
> This is not good and indicates a hardware problem, either with
> the SAA7146, or the dual-ported RAM.
>
> Since all those cards are really identical I also cannot think of
> another reason for this problem, like e.g. timing problems or use of
> different components, etc.
>
> Did you try this card using Windows with drivers from Galaxis? Does it work there?
> If not I would strongly suggest to have a talk with the person you
> bought it from. You said you got it at ebay?

under windows 98 everything works like expected, no problems. (maybe,
thats NOT like expected in the case of windows) ;-)

a hardware problem was also my first thought, so i installed winslow
to test it!

any more suggestions?

btw ... i have mailed galaxis today, if there is
support for linux or at least for you the dvb-developers.

so long ...
clemens

Home | Main Index | Thread Index