harddisk spindown & linux

hi all !

after setting "hdparm -S 1" i realized my old enemy rose again
(fought that on my answering-machine project and gave up ;-).

something in linux does disk io every couple of minutes - so "-S 1"
works not as expected and i found no way to prevent this.
turning off all daemons (except syslogd and kerneld) showed no
change, which subsystem is responsible for this ?

for watching only and "stand-by" over the day it would be good to let
the disk sleep, not only for noise-reduction but also for heat-
reduction. the pii-350 without fan stays under 50°C but hd-off would
make life easier, and maybe would permit to turn off the fan of the
power-supply too.

maybe someone has a good idea about this ?

wbr.tja...

Home | Main Index | Thread Index