RE: glitches, another story *g*

> I wonder - is it transmission failures (we have a year with a lot
> of sun-spot
> activity ;-) or are it still driver problems?

My other receivers don't care about this activity.

> Another thing - some of us might have hardware problems with the
> cards itself
> overheating?

This could be a clue. I noted some relation between up-time, heat and noise.
However, I've been able to get perfect recordings with a hot card too.

> Are there similar problems with the W95 drivers? (Because my Bios
> can't read my
> 40 GB disk i can't test myself)

Wish somebody could test. No w95 here.

However, I noted some relation between CPU speed and glitches. Actually, it
seems that higher CPU speeds create more glitches than slow CPU + well-tuned
hd. My test case is a TX chipset with a K6-2 233 CPU. When the CPU is
running at full speed, I could see glitches even without recording (*any*
disk activity was enough). By lowering the cpu speed (making it work at a
mere 133 MHz) I could record without any glitches.

All I can think of is either the card is getting too much noise from the
cpu+ide cable, or, there're race conditions with the bus, so that the card
misses frames (maybe waiting to the bus to free to send the frame in the
main memory?).

Plamen.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index