dvdplayer - without sound, misc

hi all !

yesterday i got some spare time *g* (lately my wife says i invest to
much time in this damn VDR thing) to play around with my box.

mpeg/vdr on windows:
first of all, i tried to replay a recording under windows (this
eurosport-thing which failed to replay in VDR without glitches).
got no chance with some players, all talk about "wrong format" ...
maybe someone has done that and could tell us how to play .vdr´s on
windows, which player and which conversions would be necessary.

dvdplayer, a journey into the morning:
second, i tried again to get the dvdplayer running. loaded the newest
css-sources from the cvs, compiled (hooray, it compiles now), run the
"testdvd"-parcour, failed again with "not authenticated".

close to despair i had a look to messages (got to pin that "if-there-
are-problems-look-at-messages"-slip on my forehead ;-), found that
there was some sort of "region mismatch" - didnt understand that in
the moment, cause i´ve got that brand-new-virgin pioneer drive and a
region-2 dvd in it ...

after diggin some mailing-ist archives i found out that you need
indeed a RPC-1 drive, css wouldnt work otherwise - even if there is
no real "region-mismatch" involved.

got that nice RPC-2_to_RPC-1 converter for my drive on the net (yes,
i´ve been lucky), got that damn floppy built in (never need one till
that), got that damn dos-boot disk prepared and finally got that RPC-
1 DVD drive i needed ;-)

ah, testdvd seem to authenticate now.

i compiled ac3dec, dvdplayer and tried to run dvdplayer with the
first of these vob-files - fine picture *yippie* - but no sound at
all ;-(

hmm, says something about "/dev/dsp". thought hard, compiled msp3400,
played around, looked at the source (understand not much), tried to
run ac3dec on "/dev/radio" (as i found it in the source) instead on
"/dev/dsp" (im just _that_ kind of dummy) - "/dev/radio not found" ...

maybe you need a soundcard for this, next thought. found one in the
basement, included that, built a new kernel, boot, panic, boot,
panic, boot, panic, search for bootdisk - no bootdisk at home, boot,
panic, go to bed angry ....

questions:
you need that soundcard, or can msp3400 be used to play audio for
dvdplayer ?
if yes, why do you need it ? there is no soundcard involved when
replaying recordings - is it because of the multiple audio streams in
dvd´s ?

wbr.tja...

Home | Main Index | Thread Index