Re: Routing multicast streams

    [ The following text is in the "ISO-8859-2" character set. ]
    [ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-1" character set.  ]

> a have problem with routing multicast streams. I have this configuration:
> Linux server with DVB card, dvb working ok. This server is connected thru
> eth0 to router (linux).
> Router has 4 ethernet cards. One is connected to server with DVB, second
is
> connected to public internet,
> and another two is two intranet LAN segments 10.2.2.x and 10.2.1.x. In

you have two options to get this to work:
- run mrouted on your router
- run mrouted on a machine on each segment which has multicast clients
I'm using option two since my router wouldn't run mrouted, probably because
there were too many interfaces with too many aliases...

Option one might work with the mrouted from dvbrouter, for option two, you
need to upgrade your mrouted since the mrouted from dvbrouter doesn't handle
tunnels very well.  I'm sending a patch for the latest mrouted
(mrouted_3.9-beta3) as an attachment.

my mrouted.conf on the machine with the dvb card looks like this:
cache_lifetime 3600             # seconds
dvbauto on
phyint dvb0 metric 1 altnet 194.177.32.0/24
tunnel 172.20.4.6 10.1.0.11 metric 1 threshold 1 rate_limit 0

where 172.20.4.6 is the ip of the dvb-machine and 10.1.0.11 is the machine
on the segment where I want to route the multicast streams.

mrouted.conf on the machine on the segment:
cache_lifetime 3600             # seconds
phyint 10.1.0.11 force_leaf
tunnel 10.1.0.11 172.20.4.6 metric 1 threshold 1 rate_limit 0

you have to make your router route ip in ip packets and you have to make the
kernels on the dvb-machine and the machine on the segment to support ip
tunneling, ip multicasting and ip multicast routing.

this setup works for watching nbc and eurosport, I couldn't get Fazzt to
work (well, I couldn't get it to work even if I run it on the machine with
the dvb card, so it's probably a pilot error ;-))

you might need a different altnet on the dvb interface for Fazzt.  The 128/1
altnet won't work since mrouted won't tunnel a /1 route, it will tunnel it
as a /8 route and then it won't work at all.

you can use the map-mbone utility to see if the tunnel is working.

    christian

    [ Part 2, Application/OCTET-STREAM (Name: ]
    [ "mrouted_3.9-beta3-dvb.diff")  8.1KB. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

Home | Main Index | Thread Index