[linux-dvb] Re: Request: Exporting of EPG data from VDR

Dave Chapman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After lurking on this list for a few months, I've finally bought and
> installed a DVB card.  Many thanks to everyone involved in both the driver
> and VDR projects.
>
> My first thoughts for small enhancements to VDR is to export, in some way,
> the EPG data collected in eit.c for use by an external EPG application.
>
> How about exporting the data to text files (one file per event) in a
> directory hierarchy in /video.  For example:
>
> printf(filename,"/video/epg/%i/%i/%i.epg",satelliteid,service,eventid);
>
> I'm happy to implement this  - the VDR patch should only be a few lines - but
> it may best be done by someone completely familiar with the eit.c code.
>
> An external (Perl?) script could be run by cron (or in the Commands menu of
> VDR) to delete the files describing events that have been broadcast.

I made a quick hack that implements an "EPG dump" every 10 minutes
into the file /video/epg.data, and also a small Perl script that reads
that file and produces HTML pages showing all the data.

The HTML conversion is very raw, no fancy layout, but it shows how to
parse the epg.data file, which stores the entire EPG data in a very
simple, easily parseable format.

So, if you want to try that, get the file

   http://www.cadsoft.de/people/kls/vdr/epgdump.tgz

and apply the two diff's to 'eit.c' and 'eit.h' (this assumes vdr version 0.68).
Then recompile 'vdr', restart it and wait 10 minutes.
After the file/video/epg.data has been generated, execute

   epg2html < /video/epg.data

This writes the HTML pages into the current directory.
Fire up your browser and load the 'index.htm' file.
After that it's plain Web browsing...

Have fun
Klaus