[linux-dvb] kfir LinuxTV MPEG2 Encoder board - re-encoding of files.

Ralph Metzler wrote:

> Carsten Koch writes:
>  > Ralph Metzler wrote:
>  > ....
>  > > Since we are working on a tool for creating SVCDs from the output of the
>  > > encoder card anyway (which also involves proper remuxing)
>  >
>  > Will that tool also be able to create SVCDs from the output
>  > of the DVB card?
>  >

> Real SVCDs conforming to the standard?
> No, not without recoding (which we donīt plan to do).
>
> SVCDs are 480x576 with less than 2.8 MBit Bitrate and 44.1KHz sound
> sampling rate. I donīt think any TV station sends with those parameters.
> But some TV stations are probably low quality enough so that you can
> make SVCDs out of them which can be played by some players.
> I think e.g. the Yamakawa DVD players also accept non-conforming SVCDs.

What if you use the DVB-S card for recording and then the kfir card
for re-encoding?

Does the driver already support that?

If not, is it theoretically possible to feed a *file* into the
encoder card and get a differently encoded file back out?
If yes, do you have plans to implement that?

Cheers,

Carsten.

---