[linux-dvb] Re: GOP to I-frame converter?

MK wrote:
> I-frames only mpegs have a seemingly justified reputation for lousy quality.

The reason for that being that you have to choose a much higher
compression for the I-frame when you cannot use B- and P- frames
and you want the overall bitrate of the file to remain constant.

So I do not believe this applies to Klaus' problem because a) we're
dealing with VBR files anyway and b) Klaus does not want to turn the
entire file into an "I-frames only mpeg", but just part of the GOP
at the cut point. Usually a GOP is less than 2 seconds.

Back to the question: The obvious solution that I can see is to
decompress the entire GOP and recompress the part of it that turns
out to be needed.

For an open source MPEG2 (de)compression software, see
      http://heroinewarrior.com/mpeg.html

Carsten.

---