[linux-dvb] Re: what about the visiontech mpeg2 encoder board?

Niels de Carpentier writes:
 > Does anybody know how hard it would be to port the driver to other cards,
 > like the hauppauge PVR or the sigmadesigns DVR ?
 > They both use the Kfir chip, but don't seem to use the PLX9054 chip.
 >
 > Greetings,
 >
 > Niels
 >
 > P.S. I know hauppauge and sigmadesigns don't support linux drivers, and
 > won't give any info about their boards. However, they have boards that are
 > actually available. I'll gladly buy a visiontech board if they can sell
 > me one.

Since there is no information about the PCI bridge on the SigmaDesigns
card I don't think much can be done (or is it the same bridge as on
the Dxr3/HW+?).

The Hauppauge PVR would probably be easier to support since the bridge is
well known. The Conexant Fusion 878A is backwards compatible to the
Bt848/878. Only some routines for transferring data from I2S or GPIO
have to be added and one would have to figure out how exactly the data
transfer between Altera, Kfir, ADSP and 878A works on this board.
I don't know how easily this can be figured out by inspection of the
card or by trial and error. Here some information by Hauppauge would
of course help.

But I have never seen either of those cards (only pictures) and there
are no plans I know of to support them right now, espcially not if not
at least some minimal technical support is provided by the manufacturer.

Ralph

---