[linux-dvb] Re: dvb 0.8 and vdr 0.68?

Carsten Koch wrote:

> Stefan.Hagendorn@lindy.cc wrote:
> > yesterday I've tested the new .80 dvd drivers to see if they are working
> > with VDR. After detecting that they don't work I was going back to driver
> > ..71 which I backuped before the test.
>
> Gregoire Favre wrote:
> > > I have forgotten to say that I am on kernel 2.4.0-test12, driver 0.8 vdr 0.68...
> > Now just before I do the make insmod, I do the makedev.napi... and vdr is working, for changing to
> > the first channel, and then showing the info of the next one, but without switching the channels,
> > and the info stays all the time: I could play a DVD with the OSD of Sat.1 still over it ;-(
>
> Does anybody know when the latest dvb driver and the latest vdr
> will start working together?
>
> Is this just an installation/configuration problem or are they
> incompatible due to a bug in the driver or in vdr?

I am currently working on that.
The next version (0.7) of VDR will store recordings in PES format
and will also provide the ability to mark the beginning and end of commercial
breaks and generate an edited version of the original recording.

However, I'm having some serious problems with the PES mode of driver 0.8.
When I make a recording with

   cat /dev/video > filename

and replay that recording with

   cat filename > /dev/video

I get big audio dropouts with recordings taken from e.g. ARD, while there
are (almost) no audio dropouts on recordings from e.g. RTL. I assume that
it might have to do with the different picture sizes of these channels
(704x576 vs. 480x576). Maybe some of you here on the list could reproduce the above
mentioned tests (with the 0.8 DVB driver installed as it comes, i.e. _without_
'outstream=0'!) and let me know whether you experience the same problems.
Please also give the CPU speed of your system (mine is running at 450MHz).

Greetings
Klaus