[linux-dvb] Re: Problems with vdr 0.7 and driver 0.81.

Johannes Schoeller wrote:

> > Could I turn off the automatic EPG loading ? Ok, it would not be as
> > userfriendly as it is now, but a not-hanging box is preferable, too....
>
> from the README (section SETUP):
>
>   EPGScanTimeout = 5     The time (in hours) of user inactivity after which the
>                          DVB card in a single card system starts scanning
> channels
>                          to keep the EPG up-to-date.
>                          A value of '0' turns off scanning on a single card
> system.

That works for those lucky people who only have one DVB card. ;-)

My problems started when I installed the second card.
In a dual card system, the above variable is ignored
and the seconday card scans all the time (unless it's
recording).

However, we should keep in mind that the bug is in the
driver (or in the firmware). So, working around it by
disabling a good and useful vdr feature is not my
favorite solution.
It would be best to get the driver stable.

As long as the driver is not stable, even disabling the
epg scan will only postpone the inevitable. I have seen
the same problem after switching channels manually
(admittedly, you have to switch hundreds of times for
it to happen, but in the end it does happen).

What do people think about my idea of reloading the
driver every hour when vdr is idle?

Carsten.

---