[linux-dvb] Re: OSD

On Monday 05 February 2001 13:33, Carsten Koch wrote:
> Would people prefer an OSD that is fast/large/reliable, but
> replaces (rather than overlays) the entire video picture while
> it is active? Does the driver provide a suitable API that
> allows us to display one still video frame from a bitmap
> (symmetrical to VIDIOCMCAPTURE)?

I have never tried it, but the documentation for the new API (in video.h)
lists a function (VIDEO_STILLPICTURE) that displays an I-Frame.  I guess that
this is what you want.

> Would it be a good idea to handle the OSD like the Sky digibox?
> The Sky digibox provides two kinds of OSD:
>
> [Details deleted]

I agree with this idea to a point.  I love VDR's transparent menus, but agree
that the flexibility of a large, full-screen EPG would be preferable to a
smaller, transparent menu.  A mixture of the two (using transparent menus as
much as possible) should be the way to go.  We shouldn't have to mute the
sound when we go into full-screen mode though.

My impression is that we are pushing the SIemens card to the limit with the
range of features we want to implement simultaneously and in my opinion,
Ralph's doing a good job.

Regards,

Dave.

---