[linux-dvb] Re: OSD (was: Re: Maximum number of PES filters - 8?)

Dave Chapman wrote:

> On Monday 05 February 2001 14:31, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > > [Details of OSD deleted]
> > > Klaus, would you find that attractive?
> >
> > Just a quick answer to your last question: I find an OSD that can only
> > be used when I STOP replay unacceptable. I'd rather have it the way it
> > currently is (with some picture distortions) than having to completely
> > stop replay when bringing up the OSD.
> >
> > Klaus
>
> I think for some functions - e.g. browsing the EPG - it would be reasonable
> to PAUSE/RESUME the replay of recordings whilst the EPG is being displayed.
>
> In any case, the benefit of your VDR software is the GPL - there is nothing
> to stop someone implementing a beautiful full-screen menu system for VDR if
> they want to.  If people desire that (with the advantages and disadvantages
> it brings), and if it's technicaly possible, then why not?

I don't mean to keep anybody from implementing their favourite kind
of OSD handling. All I'm saying is that *my personal* opinion ist
that I want the OSD to be transparently "above" the video picture
(no matter if it is a replayed recording or a live picture). I use the
OSD e.g. to sometimes check if there is new email, and it would IMO be
extremely annoying if I had to stop replaying every time I want to do that.

But that need not keep others from doing it their way...

Klaus