[linux-dvb] Re: Problems with vdr 0.7 and driver 0.81.

Johannes Schoeller wrote:

> excuse me when i misunderstood anything, but, does anyone really care about
> little disturbances in the picuture when the OSD is displayed? i think in that
> moment the OSD is moer important than the "tv screen".

My opinion is: small glitches in the video while
the OSD is up are totally acceptable to me.
As I said in another mail: for the "big" screens that I
do not normally bring up when I want to continue watching
the current program or recording (Channel list, EPG, recordings
list, setup, etc.) I could even live with no video at all
in the background and I would even prefert no video if that
buys me more screen space so I can save some scrolling.

> i thought that there were problems during "normal" playback because of the
> implementation of the OSD. who cares about the little dropouts when displaying
> the "time bar (->"OK")" during playing.
> does anyone care? or has this discussion gone in a "wrong" direction?!?

I would prioritize it as follows:

o  Top priority: stability.

   Today, the combination
        vdr 0.7, dvb 0.8.1, 2 DVB-S cards
   does not work stable enough for me to be left alone for 24
   hours and make a single sucessful unattended recording.
   With vdr 0.63, the same PC and O/S and 1 DVB-S card, this
   worked just fine.

   Problems I am observing today are:
   * After 4 - 10 hours (even if the system is unattended)
     vdr starts putting messages like the following into
     /var/log/messages:

     Feb  5 19:57:56 wald5 vdr[429]: ERROR: channel 20 not sync'ed (front.sync=0)!
     Feb  5 19:57:57 wald5 vdr[429]: ERROR: channel 20 not sync'ed (front.sync=20)!

    Once this starts, there are about 10 of these messages per minute.
    At the same time, the driver starts putting messages
    like the following into /var/log/messages:

     Feb  5 19:33:12 wald5 kernel: commandrequest error
     Feb  5 19:33:12 wald5 kernel: dvb: filter shutdown error :50822
     Feb  5 19:33:14 wald5 kernel: outcommand error 1
     Feb  5 19:33:14 wald5 kernel: commandrequest error
     Feb  5 19:33:15 wald5 kernel: dvb: ARM RESET
     Feb  5 19:33:15 wald5 kernel: dvb: filter shutdown error :50822
     Feb  5 19:33:15 wald5 kernel: dvb: filter shutdown error :65535

    Once this starts, there are about 3 RESET messages per minute.

   * About once a week, vdr just crashes with no message in the log.

o  Second priority: error-free recordings.

   * The "audio glitches" problem has been discussed here often.
     I can only add that I am seeing (hearing) it sometimes
     on channels other than ARD and ZDF as well.
     Not very frequently, though.

   * When dvb starts giving me "ARM RESET" messages, recordings
     no longer work at all.
     Yesterday I deleted 5 directories with empty recordings
     that vdr created during the last weekend.

o  Third priority: all user interface functions work.

   * When I do a fast forward, vdr stops responding until the
     recording reaches its end.

What do you think?
Are you seeing the same problems?
Are the priorities the same for you?