[linux-dvb] Re: best TV card to buy?

Dave Chapman wrote:

> Matt wrote:
> >
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > Hauppauge is currently working on a sky digi box PC card thingy
> > I think it is due for release in late 2001 maybe Jan 2002.
>
> Do you have any more details on this?  Where did you hear about it?
>
> It it a DVB receiver with Videoguard CAM (my dreams come true, but
> unlikely), or a card that can control an external digibox and encode
> it's analogue output?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave.

Hi Dave,

I called hauppauge a while ago inquiring on the supply of cards
on a personal basis (normal dvb cards ones)
and I mentioned of a linux interest together
with who produces an SDK for the cards in general.

They mentioned that there was I think it was technotrend
or someone.

As a general interest question I also mentioned if there was
a Digi card.... and then they mentioned that one was in test
release later on this year.

Thats all I have at present but with their know how etc
I think it would be an easy task with permissions from
Sky to decrypt the signal of cause (maybe type in your
card subscription number could be a way to go for
decryption plus another key.

Now does Hauppauge produce the cards or is it Siemens
that cut the cards and Hauppauge markets them in general
as they are generaly the same.

As you can see with 5 million subscribers to Sky and
say 20% may have PC's thats a nice market to be in.

If you could get all those users to use the Box/Card for
Dialup then thats a nice market too.

What percentage are linux users well I think it could be
5 - 10% of them maybe ?

Regards

Matt

---