[linux-dvb] Re: Siemens DVB-C card

Stefan Lucke writes:
 > On Die, 13 Feb 2001, Ralph Metzler wrote:
 > > Stefan Lucke writes:
 > [snip]
 > >  > In some parts of the sources I found some defines for RGB/YUV constants.
 > >  > Do they apply to grabbing only or is it possible to feed either a DVB-s/DVB-c
 > >  > card with a RGB/VUY (packed/planar) data stream on their video output port ?
 > >

 > > I don't understand the question. Feed something to the output port?!?
 >
 > Is it possible to send a RGB/YUV picture to the card so that it is displayed
 > on the video output port (composite,Y/C, RGB) ?

Yes, if you encode it as MPEG, e.g. as an I-frame.

Sending uncompressed pictures to OSD is also supported but not very
usable do to the small OSD memory (max. 4 colors at full resolution).
One could write a picture directly to the frame buffer of the MPEG decoder but
this is not supported right now and transmitting uncompressed pictures
to the card would be rather slow.

 > >  > Is the analog TV addon board, available for siemens DVB-c board,
 > > supported too ?
 > >
 > > No.
 > :-( (no, not yet, never?)

Not really a priority right now.
Data sheets for the tuner, video decoder and MSP chip are all freely
available though.

 > >  > If yes does it allow MPEG2 capture of analog cable TV ?
 > >
 > > No.
 > obvious :-( (s.o.)

Yes, but even if the addon board were supported you couldn't capture
analog cable TV as MPEG2, unless you pipe it through an MPEG2 encoder
afterwards of course.

Ralph

---