[linux-dvb] Re: TT-budget+ Smart card reader + PIII 700?

Giuseppe La Rosa writes:
 > So, it could be possible to implements simple CA systems in the non-budget
 > cards using this functionality of the AV7110? Cause I've noted in the
 > dvb_demux.c this:
 >
 >         if (dvbdmxfeed->descramble)
 >                 return -ENOSYS;
 >
 > and I deduced that this functionality wasn't available in the demux. So I've
 > tried elsewhere in the VES1893, and I've made the mistake that you
 > explained.
 > What does it means? That the functionality is present but is not used in the
 > driver implementation?

The functionality would have to be implemented into the firmware.

 > Do you think that could be activated? What I think is that, if is present,
 > should not be difficult to activate and use it. Form the demux part, it must
 > be only written the functions to tell what control words have to be used.
 > The rest is to make some software that implements the CA System part that
 > manage ECM and EMM.

The various CA systems are littered with patents and trade secrets.
Any product implementing them would have to get the proper licenses.
I am certainly not going to step into this legal minefield.

Ralph

---