[linux-dvb] VDR machine in standbymode (was: Minimum system)

nice thought! i.m also very interested in saving energy.

it would be a nice idea to put the pc in standby mode in
times of inactivity. and just wake it up just before the
beginning of a new recording, or in case a key of the remote
control is pressed.

problem(s):

.) automatic scanning of epg data after X hours. how long does
   it take? would it be enough to start it maybe 3 times a day?
   and then send the pc back to sleep?`
.) concerning the stability of the DVB driver: how stable is
   apm/pc98 working under linux. i use "suspend to RAM" on a
   win2k machine and i.m very impressed. it works great, and
   uses just about 3watts.
.) alternate starting and shutting down the harddisk is
   another problem. harddisk don.t love to be started and stopped
   too often. i even hate putting them in standby mode. but
   it saves another 5-10Watts.
.) i use the VDR machine as a firewall. so i would need the
   ability to wake the maching up on modem/isdn/adsl activity.

what so you think? is this manageable under linux?
i would appreciate it very much.

Johannes Schoeller
<schoeller@gmx.at>
<icq 2802639>