[linux-dvb] Save Mony part 2

Hallo!

First i will say some words about me. I doesn't have a VDR build now. I will go on the next day to buy all thinks i will need to build, but i am a student and does not have to much money at a time.

So the facts of the power switching is:
* It works only with a ATX Motherboard and ATX Power supply. I would also work on old power supply, but i dont want to implentent them now because all types of pc you will need for the VDR are a Pentium II class and they are ATX (normaly)
* If you switch a ATX motherboad off with "shutdown now -h" you get also get power from the power supply to switch the motherboard on. (I don't know if it is 5V or 3.3V but this is not importent)
* Some motherboards have a internal timer to switch on the computer. Forget this timer. Not all motherboards support this and nobody knows how to program it.
* To switch a motherboard on or off, you only need to contact two pins on the motherboard.

>From now one i will call the "PIC for controlling and the RTC-Timer" only RTC

How will my idee work.
* VDR will tell the RTC when VDR wants to record next time (the timer will set about 10 minutes for booting your system) and after that VDR switch the PC off (shutdown).
* If the time is come, the RTC will contact the two pins to switch the VDR on. VDR starts normaly and start recording of the movie. After the record, VDR tells the RTC when he wants to switch on at next time, or if he doesn't tell it, the RTC doensn't wake up the PC anymore.
* the VDR should also start with the IR if you press the power button.

What do you think about this idee. If you find them good, i will need somebody how patch VDR to work with this switch.

Peter

P.S.: sorry for my bad english, but my native language is german.

---