[linux-dvb] Compact Linux VDR (was:Re: Antwort: Re: Two technical questions...MayBe OT !)

Hi Stefan,

> I use a MSI Slim-PC Model MS-5203 in a Black Case. This PC features an
> onboard lan, ac97 sound, shared memory gfx-card with TV-Out and a IR
> Keyboard with mousestick (only the balck Case). The Box is connected to my
> TV .. I use FB in a resolution of 800*600. Additionaly I use an IRMan
> Device for LIRC and my multi remote from my receiver.
> Check my Page I will try to get some pictures and technical details about
> my box soon.

nice images. But I assume this NetPC is just a bit to small to integrate
all the necessary parts. :)

I probably have the same problem with the MS-6215. One problem is that
the DVB-S card is 20 cm long and the PCI slots with the hd cage
installed allows only for 15 cm long cards. Maybe this can be overcome
by placing the hd at the place of the floppy drive. As I don't need any
floppy after the system is finally installed this should be ok. The slot
for the CDROM/DVD-Drive can be used to place the CICAM slot for one of
the two DVB-S cards installed.

I just hope the 90 W of the power supply are enough for all this and the
heat can be removed without to much noise. ;-)

I am currently not absolutely sure if I should go this route or if I
should take a normal desktop with enough space for 4 SAT cards and
multiple 80 GB disks.

As I have mentioned before I have to feed 3 different TVs independently.
I thought I can achieve this with a kind of central server containing a
total of 4 DVB-S cards and several 80 GB disks. (I have already a
central service for this with seperate receivers and IR distribution.)
Such a central server solution would be much more convenient and when
not all TVs are in use the other cards can be used for time-shifting and
concurrent recording. The access to one card with PW would also be much
easier. But the problem here is that VDR isn't prepared to handle
multiple concurrent users at different DVB-S cards yet.

On the otherside such a compact system is also very nice and if it runs
properly can be replicated very easy. :)

Emil

---