[linux-dvb] Re: Success story: DVB-0.8.2, VDR 0.71 and kvdr 0.32 work with SuSE 7.1

Hi Peter,

just try to mount the Fan in the right side of the case, grabbing fresh air
from the outside.
The air flows over the cpu, through the case and open a PCI slot near the
DVB card. The air then cools the hot DVB card (mine gets pretty hot) and
exits the case.

U then only need 1 fan for all and by choosing a large one with a resistor
you can reduce the noise dramatically.

I use a heavy metal Pabst fan with 50% reduction.

this is especially of importance in very small cases where verything gets
even hotter.

If you dont want to cut the case, try a tiny 40mm fan. Conrad has some for
less than 5DM and they run nearly noiseless.
Enough for a non-overclocked CPU.

Does anybody knows how to underclock a Duron ?
I have a 750 too, but it wont run slower, only faster....
Iīm too new to Wintel hardware, so I donīt know.

If I could ony fit 2 DVB cards in an Apple Cube......;-)

Tobias

Hi,

Let me thank you all for contributing such great and useful software
packages to the public.

I've assembled a new PC for the main purpose to run VDR on it.
I bought the following components:
 - The same black ATX desktop case as shown on the image on Klaus home page.
 - A very silent Maxtor 34098H4 EIDE hard drive (ca. 38.16 GB).
 - Gigabyte GA-71XE4 (socket A) motherboard (mainly because this comes
   still with two ISA slots).  Bus clock is reducible from 100 MHz to
   90 MHz through dip switches.
 - AMD Athlon 750 MHz (this was the slowest processor I was able to get,
   everything below was out of stock).
   The CPU is now running with 675 MHz due to the reduced 90MHz bus clock.
   The most noisiest component is still the CPU fan.  I've tried to run the
   board without it and with huge additional self made 10x10cm heat sink
   attached to side of the original heat sink using two screws.  But this
   failed:  The athlon goes into overheat alarm pretty soon.  So I had
   to put the CPU fan back in, but I reduced its speed to 4200 rpm using
   a 56 Ohm resistor in the 12 V line.  But this is still louder than
   anything else in the box.
 - one 128 MB RAM DIMM
 - ELSA Erazor III LT

---