[linux-dvb] Questions and suggestions for VDR

Hi all,

now that the VDR seems to converge to working version again, I would
like make some suggestions:

1. Recording radio programmes, ist that possible?

I think that VDR does not do it because there is no "picture" stream and
thus concludes it has not (yet) tuned in.

Is it possible to detect radio programmes from the channels.conf and
adjust the recording behaviour?

2. Interface for external programs that can use the video devices

This would be similar to the commands.conf but with some
extension/handover mechanism so that an external program (the DVD
player) can use the resources of a given DVB card.

This, added with an option to kill the program when the card is needed
for recording, would probably open the VDR for a lot of other things -
an MP3 player, a slideshow for scanned/digital photographs...

And some questions:

1. Audio play

How can I play audio streams (mp2 or PCM would be fine) on the DVB card?

2. Still video play

How can I produce a picture (probably some MPEG-2 I frame) to display on
the TV? Perhaps even with audio - the audio playing while the stills are
shown?

3. Analog recording

This is not too far of - since I have a DVB-C and I am not going through
the hassle of installing a dish and wrestling with my landlord of my
flat - I would like to use my BTTV card to do analog recordings. There
are several issues:

a) a good recording program that does not skip frames

the only one that seemed to work good in this area was nuppelvideo, but
this has a crappy output format. I already have modified it so that it
output YUV formats suitable for the "transcode" scripts and was able to
produce valid VCD/SVCD compliant streams but I would rather

b) direct I-Frame-only MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 streams

My machine (an AMD K6-2+ with 550MHz) is able to capture (nuppel again)
video at 480x576 and 352x288 resolutions. I don't know but it should be
possible to produce I-frame only video with prehaps PCM audio so that
the recordings can be replayed by VDR immediatly?

c) some integration of other devices in the channels.conf of VDR

VDR currently has a channel setup assuming more or less identical
possibilities on the cards (aside of CAM modules). Should this be
extended to allow programs/channels to be assoicated with special
hardware (i.e. this channel only available on that card or these cards -
perhaps with other tuning parameters?)

d) other code for recording

How can different code be put into VDR to - for example - record analog
radio/TV? Clean interface? I would prefer to re-use all the other
functions of VDR, e.g. channel precedence.

Gruss
Andreas
--
Keine Zeit haben wir genug!