[linux-dvb] Re: AW: VDR 0.80pre8, current CVS OSD problems

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > Klaus, could this be a setup parameter, so people
> > can choose small OSD with 16 colors vs. full screen
> > OSD with 4 colors?
>
> If all other things fail, this might be an option. But as far as I understand
> Ralph he is considering to completely turn off the OSD - and that would mean the
> end of VDR :-(

Ralph said: ``don't be surprised if you see a module
parameter "VDR" in the future which will change the
firmware memory config.''

I am not sure how I should interpret this: With the
VDR module parameter on, the OSD works, but the
terrible A/V dropouts remain and with the VDR module
parameter off, there is no OSD and recordings work
flawlessly (like they used to before driver 0.7)?

Both alternatives make no sense - at least not to me
and propably not to any other VDR user, either.

IMHO, VDR is an important application. I would even guess
that the majority of people who use a Siemens or compatible
DVB card under Linux use it with VDR. Am I correct here?
Klaus, do you have a download counter for VDR?
How many people have downloaded VDR 0.72 so far?

Anyway, if this is true, I wonder if it would not be
a good idea to closely align driver and VDR development
in a way that allows VDR to function flawlessly like it
did before driver 0.7.

Ralph, assuming that most people who use a DVB card under
Linux want to use it for video recording, what is the best
way forward in your opinion?
Are you planning to make the driver work flawlessly with VDR?
Is convergence developing an alternative video recording
application?

Some people on this list mentioned that they still use old
versions of VDR and the driver that only supported AV_PES
but produced reliable recordings. Is that the best way to go?

Carsten.