[linux-dvb] Re: Complete drivers

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Lefteris Xanthoudakis wrote:

> I have recently bought a Skystar1 (Technisat) card but the DVB drivers do
> not seem to work with me. I have also noticed many differences between
> versions. ie v 0.8.2 initiates a dvb0 device but V 0.9 doesn't.  I have

The 0.8.x drivers and 0.9.x (== CVS) are completely different. 0.9.x comes
with a different API (New API == NAPI) and provides a more unified
interface for different DVB cards. The 0.8.x drivers have been developed
under Linux 2.2.x but they should work unter 2.4.x, too. The 0.9.x drivers
only work under kernel 2.4.x

> also noticed that gVideo is also missing from 0.9 versions as well as the
> core modules. I tried CVS which also misses gVideo and i2c-core.

gVideo hasn't been ported yet. You can (only) use (n)tuxzap and
(n)tuxplayer. Contrary to what the documentation says, the 0.9.x driver
uses the Video4Linux files and I2C drivers that come with the 2.4.x
kernels so they are not in the current CVS. Just compile your kernel with
Video4Linux and I2C support, download the CVS drivers and compile them.

> I am using kernel V2.4.3 and will now try V2.4.4. If anyone has a working

There are reports that kernel 2.4.4 doesn't work properly with the
drivers.

Regards,
hh