[linux-dvb] Re: VDR 0.80pre5 vs. latest CVS

>  > - channel switching is a little more stable than with older CVS drivers
>  >   but I don't see any changes in the tuner code. It seems as if my
>  >   channel switching problems have nothing to do with the tuner and
problem
>  >   is somewhere else?!
>
> What kind of switching problems do you still have?

I have the new Hauppauge model I have had channel tuning/switching problems
ever since the driver supports that card. Most of the time, this means an
"outcommand error 1" and the screen will either go blank (black) or
horizontal stripes will appear (see ftp://ftp.loca.net/pub/vdr/crash.jpg for
an example). The card then hangs until I do a "make reload". With the latest
CVS, the card will sometimes restart automatically (boot message appears
again, channel is tuned correctly), but not always. With older CVS versions,
the card would just stay dead until the driver has been reloaded.

On Sunday, you wrote that you cannot do much about this since you don't have
a new Hauppauge card to test the code with. I've since tried to determine
what the cause of the problem is. Unfortunately, I'm no DVB expert and I
don't know much about the DVB card's internals and the driver (yet :-). But
from what I have found out so far, it seems as if the tuner stuff is still
operating when the crash occours. Looking at the code, it seems as if there
is a command beeing sent to the demodulator after each tuning attempt and
that demodulator command causes the card to fail somehow. Please let me know
if I have completely misunderstood your code ... ;-)

>  > - When I try to replay a recording, the PC will freeze. I currently
have
>  >   no monitor attached so I cannot say whether the kernel panics or not.
>
> This should not happen.
> Playback with ntuxplayer works fine right now.

I will connect a monitor to the PC later today to see if there are any
messages from the kernel at the console.

Regards,
hh