[linux-dvb] Re: Computer case for VDR

> I read about the Mustand EPAC case (www.mustang-case.com) which should
> absorb even more sounds?

Hmm, looks like it will be VERY silent, but does anyone have hands-on
experience with this case? The interior looks like hard foam ("Hartschaum"
in German :^) ) so I wonder if it's durable enough. Looking at the large
images they have on their website, I also wonder how the hard drives etc.
are being mounted in the drive bays so they won't fall down when you open
the case?!

> Any ideas (apart from putting the machine in the basement and pulling
> cables to the living room as a friend of mine did).

I took a standard computer case, removed all loose parts (hard disk
mountings etc.) and glued cork plates onto the interiour of the cover. The
PC has got a 400 MHz Pentium II CPU which I underclocked to 300 MHz. The CPU
heatsink still has a fan (which I slowed down with a resistor) since I
haven't found a passive heatsink for my CPU yet but the CPU would be cool
enough to run with a passive heatsink. I didn't attach the hard drive (a
Fujitsu SilentDrive) to the PC case. Instead, I just placed it on small
rubber foam bars. Finally, I replaced the standard power supply fan (which
was temperature-controlled but still too loud when running 24/7) with a
Papst Variofan. The PC case sits behind a curtain in my living room. It
could be more silent, but if I open the window, the chirping birds or a car
driving by outside are much louder than the noise from the PC.

Regards,
hh