[linux-dvb] Re: AW: VDR 0.80pre8, current CVS OSD problems

Ralph Metzler wrote:

> Jan Panteltje writes:
>  >
>  >
>  > On Wed, 30 May 2001, Ralph Metzler wrote:
>  > >
>  > > What I meant is that without enabling the overflow buffer mechanism
>  > > (which is trivial now, but wasn't the time I first tried to use it)
>  > > also normal TV watching has distortions with the reduced video
>  > > buffer.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > Ralph
>  >
>  > Ralph, something is wrong in all this.
>  > If I can do av_pes recording driver 0.7.1 and playback 0.0.4
>  > PERFECTLY, with as ONLY problem, that if I overload the system
>  > by running a lot of other disk intensive things, it get out of sync,
>  > then you must be chasing a wrong cause of the problems?
>  > If I do not overload the system, record / playback is perfect,
>  > just have to start a bit into the file at playback, to get the correct
>  > audio/video sync (and it then stays in sync).
>  >
>  > Then it would seem to me only the start -alignment- problem needs fixing.
>
> That's exactly what I have done.
>
> I am using the more strict syncing (which causes the jerking after a
> while) for the first few seconds and the switch to the behavior of the
> old version.
>
> Since I heard no comments on this (although I asked for it) I guess
> either it works fine or nobody noticed.

I can only speak for the 2001-05-25 driver version, since the latest version
doesn't run very stable here. In the 2001-05-25 driver I haven't observed any a/v sync problems
so far. The main problem I'm having currently (with both 2001-05-25 and the latest
version) is that when replaying the sound suddenly gets completely lost and only
comes back after stop/restart. The recorded data appears to be fine.

If there is anything I could do in VDR to rearrange the video/audio packets
in order to avoid this, I'd be glad to do so. However, since I'm neither sure
if this would help at all, nor know exactly how to do that, I would appreciate
any comments/ideas anybody might have...

Regarding the OSD: with the reduced number of lines (13 instead of 15) it works
fine here. I'll rearrange the menus accordingly, so we'll have the same amount of
information than before (there were two empty lines, which made for better looking,
but I guess we can drop them in order to cope with the replay mode's increased
memory requirements).

Klaus