[linux-dvb] Re: A/V disturbances while recording (was:Today's CVS driver)

Klaus Schmidinger writes:
 > I just made the following experiment:
 >
 > My third DVB card recorded the current ZDF programme, while the first card
 > immediately replayed the recorded data. My tv set is able to do PIP
 > (picture in picture), so I was able to view the live signal from the AV output
 > of the third card as well as the replayed signal from the first card (with a few
 > seconds delay).
 >
 > Much to my surprise the audio disturbances and video artifacts happened on the
 > *LIVE* signal - the recording just repeated what it had received earlier.
 >
 > Another test with 3sat showed the same errors in the *LIVE* signal.
 >
 > I then recorded 3sat with my third card and also tuned to 3sat on my first
 > card, thus having the live picture on both a card that is currently recording
 > and one that is just showing the programme. As I already expected, the disturbances
 > happened only on the card that was recording.
 >
 > I double checked this with the CVS driver version 2001-05-17, where during several
 > minutes of testing I have observed only one such disturbance. So it would appear that
 > this has become a lot worse between CVS driver versions 2001-05-17 and 2001-05-25.
 >
 > Whether or not such disturbances happen apparently depends on what kind of
 > programme is currently broadcast. There are times when (even with the latest driver)
 > I can't observe any errors for several minutes, and other times when they occur every
 > few seconds. It would appear that 3sat is a good test candidate, and here especially
 > the "nano" programme. But also the ZDF shows this behaviour.
 >
 > Can anybody else reproduce these effects?
 >
 > Can the driver developers think of anything that might cause this?
 > I don't think that the *live* signal should be affected by the fact that
 > the card is recording!?
 >
 > Am I doing something wrong here?

My guess would be that it has something to do with OSD since that is
the only thing we are not really using. We had no problems here.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
mocm@netcologne.de                     http://www.metzlerbros.de
mocm@convergence.de                    http://www.convergence.de