[linux-dvb] Re: VDR suggestion - record to TS?

hi,

just my 5c:

why not decouple "playing"-video further:

we could use a combination of combined/video-only/audio-only devices for
replaying video in a configurable way.

i'm thinking of using other mpeg hardware to replay. there are
linux-drivers
for e.g. creatives dxr2/3 card. the dxr3-drivers use two
video/audio-devices
to replay and feature a _ac3-capable_ coax-spdif output (that seems to
be
supported in ac3-mode). price should be about 100 euro.
there seem to be only two drawbacks:
- the drivers do not seem too stable (although i did not find the time
  test)
- there is apparently no support for osd (at least noone has reverse
engineered
  how to do it)

as far as i see this could be the best (and cheapest) combination for
everything i would like to see: timeshifting, fta/encrypted viewing

btw, did anyone try to play ac3-channels via separate soundcards?
one of these quite cheap 4-channel soundcards + the 2 channels on the
dvb-card would give a 5.1 setup with integrated decoder.

"Dr. Werner Fink" wrote:

> On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 04:25:38PM +0200, Ralph Metzler wrote:
> > Emil Naepflein writes:
> >  > I think the support for AC3-passthrough is missing here because nobody
> >  > thought 2 years ago that AC3 will ever be part of the DVB standard and a
> >  > station will really broadcast anything. I don't know what chip is used
> >  > in the Nokia 9800S settop box. But this box is also not capable of AC3
> >  > output and there it is a hardware limitation. Maybe we have the same
> >  > here on the DVB-S and no firmware will ever be able to set the necessary
> >  > flag.
> >
> > Yes, it is exactly the same as on the DVB-S card which is not
> > surprising because the Nokia 9800S uses exactly the same chip (AV711X).
> > You don't even have to open the box, just shine through the air slits
> > with a flashlight and you will see it.
>
> Which chip (or technique) is used by the Nokia 9902S?
>
>        Werner
>
> --
> Info:

  markus schorer              fon 089.540.149.0
  heimeranstrasse 68          fax 089.540.149.44
  80339 münchen               http://www.plain.de