[linux-dvb] Re: Lifetime timer

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 11:22:17PM +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> >
> > First i would suggest to drop one of the fields. (Lifetime ist absolutly
> > useless in my eyes (OK. I'm biased as i move the recording immediatly from
> > the 2 DVB-Computer to my "workstation" and archive the "interesting" ones
> > to CD-R. I have a total capacity of nearly 200GB and hardly more than 20GB
> > is used at every given point in time.))
>
> I believe that both fields add useful functionality and don't want to drop
> either of them. Somehow I like the idea of being able to set a guranteed
> lifetime, no matter what else might happen.

I don't think so. In my eyes the "lifetime" is useless. Priority is, in my
eyes, enough. If i want to keep a recording for more than e.g. 14 Days,
then i want to keep it "forever" or "the human" wants to decide which
recording has to be erased. (And i HATE Software that is "more"
intelligent then i. In the current setup you have to think "around the
corner" or "guess" which recording would be deleted when the disc-space is
insufficent. With only one "dicision"-field thats simple.)

> > Then you only have ONE Value for chosing "priority" (And you should use
> > the middle of "50" for default priority and not the highest possibel
> > value)
>
> You're right, I'll do that.

If i remeber correct i suggested that earlier. Maybe you just "overread"
it. :-)

> > In the current case a
> >
> > 00:00 Timer would erase a
> >
> > 99:99 Recording if it is older than 99 Days (If i unsterstood it
> >                                              correctly!)
> > (Or does it need a 01:00, 99:00, 01:01, 99:01 -timer?)
>
> Once the lifetime has been exceeded, a recording can be erased by any
> other recording, no matter what priority it has. If there is more than
> one recording that has exceeded its lifetime, the one with the lowest
> priority will be erased first.

The first time i hear that the priority-field has any meaning after
recording.

And as i don't think that many people see a difference in "lifetime" and
"priority" (When i priorize a timer "high", then i want it to life "long")

So you can use the Priority first as "priority" and "recycle" it as
lifetime.

(I haven't implemented lifetime in Master-Timer, i just nailed it to "99",
no (direct) possibility for changing it.)

> > With one value everything is much more "straitforward"
> >
> > for e.g. you have this recordings
> >
> > A:99
> > B:50
> > C:60
> > D:60
> > E:99
> >
> > and the disc-space isn't "enough" for a "new" recording. With a priority
> > of 51 or more the new recrding would "win" and the B recording would be
> > deleted. Otherwise the new recording would "lose" the game.

> Sounds reasonable. I would suggest to use the special value of 0 for the
> lifetime parameter to control this. That way, if you always use Lifetime
> = 0 it would behave as if that parameter didn't exist and deletion would
> be controlled only through the Priority parameter.

What does VDR currently do when no lifetime counter is "finished" and
there is not enough disc-space?

Lets say that there is an existing recording with "00:99"(Or "01:99") and
the "new" timer is 99:99

If i see it correctly then the new timer would "lose".

> If you set Lifetime = [1..98] the recording would get that guaranteed
> lifetime, and the special value of 99 would mean "unlimited" lifetime.
> Adding new Setup parameters for the default lifetime and priority would
> complete this.

The "Unix-Way" of unlimited is "0"! (Just "think" that it is "100")

Thats another point you should change. The lowest Prio should be "01" and
not "00". "00" Should be "highest" (Yes i know, for the most people thats
"non intuitive", but for "Unixers" the current case is "non intuitive"!)

Bis denn