[linux-dvb] Re: Suse 7.1 problem

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 10:33:04AM +0200, Joerg Riechardt wrote:
> Dieter Bloms wrote:
> > Did you run "make modules" and "make modules_install" ?
> > After that you can run "depmod -a" and the file should be there, if
> you
> > run your new kernel.
>
> Yes I did.The problem seems to be that during the modules compilation
> sometimes a directory Suse-2.4.2 and sometimes a directory
> Suse-2.4.2-4GB is used, the first one does not exist and is not made.In
> the compilation messages it is writen Suse-2.4.2"-4GB". So the
> modules.dep file is there (in Suse-2.4.2-4GB), but there is no
> subdirectory misc, and a most of the modules are not there.
> Where does that "-4GB" comes from?

See /usr/src/linux/Makefile ... and do not change that
because there is a difference between modules compiled
fo a 4GB kernel (highmem support) and the old behaviour.
Also there is a difference between SMP and none SMP ...

Do never mix modules of different versions and load only modules
fitting the running kerneli version. That means that kernels e.g.
2.4.4 and 2.4.4-4GB are different so the appropiate modules should
be used to avoid an kernel oops due to a missing inlined
function or macro used in highmem or SMP kernels.

You may update you modutils to catch this ... but AFAIK the
modutils on a SuSE Linux 7.1 should work (as it does here
on all other SuSE Linux 7.1 systems).

           Werner