[linux-dvb] Re: Suse 7.1 problem

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 03:43:27PM +0200, Joerg Riechardt wrote:
> Hi Werner,
>
> thanks for the answer.
> I updated modutils before compiling.
> I have a question for basic understanding:
> Where do I choose if I get 2.4.2 or 2.4.2-4GB?
> I installed the 2.4 kernel from the Suse 7.1 CD (Januar version).
> I installed lx_24-2.4.2.Suse (there is only one version), and the
> modutils (also only one version in /fullnames).
> What went wrong or where is my mistake?

lx_24-2.4.2.Suse includes the correct .config corresponding
to the kernel version and the modules.  There is nothing to
do.  If you change configuration you should read

      /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help

at `make config' or what ever you use _before_ changing
any of the defaults even if they `sounds' good.  You
need a deeper understanding to see what's going on.

And if you really need a own kernel with a changed configuration
you should also build all modules and you should read some
documentation (e.g. /usr/src/linux/Documentation/modules.txt)
or source code before doing that.  Modules are depending on Kernel
configuration and this configuration is a wide field to do mistakes.

BTW: Reading, thinking and trying to understand before asking is the
correct way to that ;^)

         Werner