[linux-dvb] Some thoughts about Framebuffer

hi,
it seems for me, that we reached a point in the developement of the
driver and the applications, where we have to talk about another way of
displaying the OSD for the following reasons:

1: we can not expect a enhancement of the current OSD. (the various
reasons are already discussed her...) the current driver is developed
with external FrameBuffer in mind.
2: we are dealing with more than a singel TV-Application. I cannot
imagine how to present a DVD-Menu on the DVB-OSD for example. (the first
free player, that can do DVD-Menu with Linux should be available as i read)

so i did some experimenting with DirectFB and using a TV-Set as a
display.(without an TV-Out on the VGA! all over VGA-Out! I used my old
Matrox Millenium I/PCI)

I found a very simple solution for using a TV-Set as Display, with the
following limitations:

You have to use a fully conected SCART-Cable on your TV. The signal to
the TV is NOT!!! an FBAS signal. It uses separate RGB and an Composite
Sync Signal.
Also your Graphic board should have an free programmable
Clock-Generator. (Matrox(prefered by DirectFB), NVidia....)

You have to build a small interface (very less parts, only 1 TTL-IC as a
Sync-Combiner) from your SUB-HD15 connector to Scart. The Sync combiner
may be integrated in the Connector.

The resulting picture-quality with this kind of connection is realy
good, because we donīt have to convert our Signal to PAL and back to
RGB(in the TV-Set itself).

The only Software-thing you have to do, is to write the right modelines
in "/etc/fb.set".

If anyone is interessted in my solution, mail me and i will post the
settings and the circuit-diagramm.

ciaou
	Harry