[linux-dvb] Re: Still unhappy: SBLive! + ac3dec/play-ac3 ...

Jens,

with my "SB Live Player 1024", which is 18 months old now, it works ONLY
with ALSA.
I was not able to get SPDIF working with the creative driver.
The ac3dec tool is located in the tools/ directory of the ALSA CVS tree.
You have to build it separately and put it in /usr/local/bin.
Use it with option -C.
One other thing is that you have to tell the driver what inputs and outputs
you have.
You find the related information in the INSTALL file.
I am using the following lines in /etc/modules.conf:

# ALSA native device support
alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-emu10k1
options snd-card-emu10k1 snd_index=0 snd_id="SBLive" snd_extin=0x000f
snd_extout=0x1f0f

BTW: There is no checkbox to enable digital sound, and you won't need one.
The driver seems to use SPDIF really natively, without converting
everything to analogue first, passing it through the mixer and redigitizing
it as the Windows driver obviously does. So you will not be able to change
the volume or anything else.
Sound comes out of the SPDIF just "as is", which is very good if you are
using an external amplifier.

One problem remains: When watching video with ac3 in dvdplayer, the sound
seems to be delayed, barely noticeable, but enough to make me switch to
Prologic. What can be done about this lag? Anyone here got a solution?

Cheers
Stephan