[linux-dvb] Which MPEG formats can be replayed?

Hi,

I'm still searching for the best way to archive my VDR recordings so that
they need as little space as possible while preserving as much of the
MPEG-2 quality as possible ;-)

This leads me to the question what MPEG formats can be replayed using [VDR
and] the DVB-s card. I have tried a VCD-compliant MPEG-1 files and it back
correctly.

I then followed Peter Hofmann's guide
(http://www.pxh.de/fs/svcd/index.html) and created an SCVD-compliant
MPEG-2 stream. It also plays back without audio or video glitches but the
DVB card doesn't scale it properly. The image only covers 3/4 of the
screen vertically. Is this the correct behavior or should the DVB card be
able to scale SVCD-compliant files?

Regards,
hh