[linux-dvb] ˙so-8859-1?Q?Re:_[linux-dvb]_˙SO-8859-1?Q?Can´t_loc?ate_module_char-major-250?

Hi

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Ewald Maier wrote:
> modprobe: Can´t locate module char-major-250
> vdr (523) Error: no video device found, giving up; ....
>
> what is wrong, what is char-major-250, where to find (make) it, where
> to look for the error???

char-major-nnn is the "virtual" name of a kernel module that has hooked on
a char device inside the /dev tree which has a major number of nnn.

If the kernel module loader (kmod) is searching for a char-major-nnn
module, an application from the outside world has accessed the major-nnn
/dev entry and
- either there is currently no module hooked on the major-nnn char device
- or there is something wrong with the major-nnn entry itself.

So 1. there must exist the accessed char device entry under the /dev tree.
In our case it is one of the entries in the /dev/ost directory. As I told
you in another posting: Compare the contents of your /dev/ost directory
with correct contents. Or call again the makedev.napi script - but as
root, not as normal user.
2. A kernel module must have registered as char driver with major number
= 250. In our case you can check that the module which fulfills this
purpose - dvbdev.o - is loaded (lsmod) and has started without errors
(/var/log/messages). And look at /proc/devices: A line with a "250" in
left column and an "ost/<xyz>" string in right column must be visible.

Bye,
     Rolf