[linux-dvb] Re: Status on Debian

Moin Johannes!
Johannes Stezenbach schrieb am Dienstag, den 02. Oktober 2001:

> > controversial licensing strategy, but everyone should have received them
> > allready with the own DVB card. I modified the drivers a bit to look for
> > Root and Dpram in /usr/local/lib/dvb, /usr/lib/dvb, ./armfirm and .
>
> The firmware version must match the driver version, since the "protocol"
> used for communication between the AV7110 and the Linux host
> is subject to change without notice...

Oh... too bad. So I should remove the hint from the README advising
users to get firmware files from the vendor's CDROM.

> While the firmware cannot be made open source because of NDAs and
> a binary only core library povided by TI, distribution of the binary

Of course.

> firmware files as part of the GPL'ed driver is IMHO permitted.
> I see no reason for not including the firmware files in the debian

That issue is controversial. Debian is still a child of FSF and a
license of a package should be legality-proofed (by lawyer or FSF) if
something gets in touch with the GPL. Currently, I am waiting for the
okay from FSF licensing department.

> package. Maybe Ralph can say definitive word on this.

I wrote this to Ralf a while ago...

| > nehme an, der einzige Hacken ist die Möglichkeit, dass jemand die
| > Firmware dekompilieren könnte unter der Annahme, GPL gäbe ihm das
| > Recht
|
| Ich habe habe jetzt ältere Diskussionsbeiträge darüber gelesen. Es
| wäre alles kein Problem sein, wenn die binären Dateien eindeutig als
| Quellcode zu betrachten sind. Damit würde die GPL ohne Einschränkungen
| gelten. Dazu gehört allerdings auch das Recht, den Quellcode <hier:
| Firmware-Dateien> zu ändern und die veränderte Version weiterzugeben.
| Andererseits verlangt GPL §2a, dass bei modifizierten Versionen die
| Änderungen (erkennbar) protokoliert werden müssen.
|
| Ich habe diesen Standpunkt jetzt in einem Zusatz festgehalten, siehe
| Anhang. Bevor ich das Paket endgültig freigeben kann, sollte das von dem
| Copyright holder (hier: convergence media GmBH) abgesegenet werden.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Zum 1.000.001. Mal: Jedes Programm, das kompliziertere Funktionen
bietet als Space Invaders verlangt eine 'zeitraubende intensive

-- Type: text/plain