[linux-dvb] Re: Cant_locate_module_char-major-250

Hi Ewald!

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Ewald Maier wrote:
> > [/dev/ost directory]
> [...]
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            6 Oct  2 00:22 audio ->
> audio0
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     250,   1 Oct  2 00:22 audio0
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     250,  65 Oct  2 00:22 audio1
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     250, 129 Oct  2 00:22 audio2
> [...]

Yes, it looks o.k.

> > [lsmod]
> IHMO this looks ok too:
> [...]

Yes, it does.

> > [if dvbdev.o has started without errors...]
> >(/var/log/messages).
> but here are errors:
> [...]

Well yes, you quoted them already... But there are no error messages
originating directly from the dvbdev module. Under bad circumstances
there may appear something like

... kernel: video_dev: unable to get major 250

But it does not here, so this part also seems to be correct.

!------------------------
! Hi Messrs. Metzlers!
!
! What about changing
!
!	printk("video_dev: unable to get major %d\n", DVB_MAJOR);
!
!
!	printk(KERN_ERR "dvbdev: unable to get major %d\n",DVB_MAJOR);
!
! ?
!------------------------

> > And look at /proc/devices: A line with a "250" in
> >left column and an "ost/<xyz>" string in right column must be visible.
> suspect for me that in /proc devices is not a directory; - I think it
> should or?
> [...]
> -r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Oct  2 00:50 devices
> [...]

Those are pseudo files. Run "cat /proc/devices" and you will get an output
even if they seem to have zero length. For a dvb-0.9 driver the relevant
lines look like
    Character devices:
      [...]
     81 video_capture
      [...]
    250 DVB

for a dvb-0.8 driver:
      [...]
     81 video_capture
      [...]
    249 ost/ca
    250 ost/video
    251 ost/sec
    252 ost/audio
    253 ost/qpsk_fe
    254 ost/demux

The problem you described is rather strange. Maybe it's an issue of the
devfs support in your system. But I'm afraid I can't help you on that.

vdr is even a big lump of software with countless accesses to devices in
/dev/ost. What about simpler apps like ntuxzap, tuxzap or the "test"
programs from the driver package? Do they cause comparable lamentations?

Bye,
     Rolf