[linux-dvb] Re: [vdr] Re: Re: Bad news (summary)

Andres Torrubia writes:
 > Using a module by invoking a documented, externally exposed interface is one
 > thing (such as command-line), but using it in such a way that you _need_ to
 > know how it internally works is different.  Do you know of any GPL'd program
 > that is distributed (and intertwined) WITH a binary for which you cannot get
 > the sources under the same terms as the GPL?

Hmm, how about the dxr2 driver, the dxr3 driver or any drivers for a
card that has a firmware. Not to mention the kfir drivers.
Hell, the BIOS of your computer is not GPL (well it could be, but I
guess it's not) and you use a GPL program.
Would you feel better, if we distributed the firmware separately?

The fact that we have the firmware sources is fortunate, but not
necessary to write a driver. You could take the Technotrend firmware
and write your own driver.

Marcus