[linux-dvb] Re: [vdr] Re: Re: Bad news (summary)

Henning Holtschneider writes:
 > Can you describe what this ("will not be GPL") means? Do I have to be a STB
 > manufacturer and the CA support will be in the software you build for me? If
 > not, will there be some kind of binary-only driver available to the public?
 > As a user, I don't really care if I get the source code - after all, it's
 > only important that the driver makes my hardware work.
 >
 > However, I can imagine that you might want to exclude some features from the
 > current Linux DVB driver because you want all of us to buy
 > Convergence-powered STBs. If this is case, just let me know and I will stop
 > asking every once in a while on this list ;-)))

Well, for the DVB driver it would be in the firmware anyway. And for
other implementations it would be in the closed source part of
Convergence products. The entire CI/CA stuff is not free and I doubt that
we would be able to GPL it. I guess if we could we would, but the
whole subject has some serious undertones, especially in the area of
subscription TV.

Marcus