[linux-dvb] Re: 8 bit OSD window

Andreas Zisowsky wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to create and use an 8 bit OSD window.
>
> I am using the DVB driver and library siemens_dvb-0.9.4-2002-05-20 with
> a WinTV DVB-s model 864 on SuSE 7.2 (unfortunately still the original
> 2.4.4 kernel).
>
> I have written a simple test program that creates a 4 bit OSD window,
> sends a colourmap with 16 colours, and finally calls OSDFillBlock to
> simply draw a coloured rectangle. This works correctly. But if I create
> the window with 8 bpp, then nothing appears. There are no error messages
> and the methods all return zero.
> I also tried to send a colourmap with 256 colours, with the same result.
>
> I need an overlay over the video, so streaming I-frames like dvbimage is
> not an option.
>
> Any hints?

You have probably made your OSD window too large.

There is only a limited amount of OSD memory available, so you can't
have a full screen 8bpp OSD window (not even a 4bpp window).
Take a look at VDR's dvbosd.c to see what VDR does to provide a useful
full screen OSD window. It creates several smaller windows with only the
absolutely necessary color depth.

Klaus