[linux-dvb] Re: Poll problem with multiple PIDs

Ralph Metzler wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger writes:
>  > > When you set that many
>  > > filters on such high data rate PIDs the kernel has a lot of work to do
>  > > comparing and copying.
>  >
>  > I thought that the filters were set up in the hardware, and that only those
>  > packets that match any of the desired PIDs would actually get to the driver.
>
> The Nova cards do not have any hardware filters. The complete TS is
> always written to memory by DMA and has to be filtered by software in
> the driver.

Ok, so with my latest test program (ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/pub/people/kls/vdr/x2.c)
I receive the entire TS and print some test output, but still the data stream
breaks after a short while (apparently 'pfd.revents & POLLIN' never becomes
non-zero after that any more).

I keep looking at my code (x2.c), but can't find anything wrong with it
(which, of course, doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't anything wrong
with it - maybe I just don't realize it ;-).

Meanwhile Hugo Van Ruyskensvelde has sent me a modified version of my test
example, where he has done things "a la dvbstream", which seems to work.
However, he didn't check 'pfd.revents & POLLIN' in his version. If I remove
that check from my test example, it keeps on working. But I think it would
be a good idea to check 'pfd.revents & POLLIN', and maybe since this doesn't
work as expected, there is a hidden problem somewhere in that area in the
driver...

Klaus