[linux-dvb] What are good Signal strengths/error rates?

hi all,

I'm having a nightmare with my WinTV Nova-T card. I've just installed the
latest cvs NEWSTRUCT drivers and, for all intensive purposes followed the
instructions recently posted:

http://www.guru-group.fi/~too/newstruct.txt

I can report that my machine no long hard hangs when I start dvbstream,
however I'm still receiving artifacts that affect sound and picture ever
couple of minutes. When trying to "record" tv from home I only seem to end
up with broken MPG files :(

I'm using 2.4.20-pre1-ac3. I know its bad to report bugs/problems with
pre-release kernels but it is exactly the same with 2.4.19 except 2.4.19
doesn't support UDMA on my Pent4 system whereas 2.4.18 did.. nice to see
functionality being *removed* from the kernel. the version I'm running is
the first to support it again.. I will upgrade after I send this mail

I'm using the latest CVS dvb-stream too but I'm wondering what other
people are getting from it.

quest:~/dvbstream# ./grab.sh 30m
Streaming Channel 4 using:
dvbstream -ts -o -f 2827 2828 > grabbed.ts

dvbstream v0.4pre3 - (C) Dave Chapman 2001
Released under the GPL.
Latest version available from http://www.linuxstb.org/
Using DVB card "Grundig 29504-401"
tuning DVB-T (in United Kingdom) to 481833000
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
FE_HAS_SYNC
Bit error rate: 584
Signal strength: 10794
SNR: 52942
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
FE_HAS_SYNC
Output to stdout
Streaming 2 streams

I'm using the Crystal Palace transmitter in the UK but I'm very interested
to know what are good values for:

Bit error rate: 584
Signal strength: 10794
SNR: 52942

Are these good values? What values are other people getting?

I'm wondering if the reason I'm getting such poor results is due to the
quality of my signal. Can anyone provide their values, for comparison..
perhaps my aerial is just mis-aligned. I've never tested this card under
windows, but I have had it working flawlessly.. it just suddenly seems to
go really bad.. For example it was working fine last week. Now it is poor
again. If upgrading doesn't fix it, perhaps the hardware is flawed, or I
need to climb a ladder and do some wiggling :)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Chris