[linux-dvb] Re: DVB MPE

On Thursday 05 September 2002 10:29, gpastore@interfree.it wrote:
> Hello All,
> I have a question for you. Does someone knows which is the usage (if any
> exists that is specified)  of the Adaptation Field within the IP
> multiprotocol encapsulation over MPEG framework? Thank you
> Best Regards
> Gaetano Pastore

I already replied to Gaetano in private e-mail. Accidently, I clicked wrongly
on 'Reply' button, not 'Reply to all' button and this is why my e-mail was
private. You can find this e-mail below. But be careful. This sentence from
my e-mail is completely wrong because I missed pointer_field when I
calculated datagram_section header length:
> Without adaptation field datagram_section is aligned but data started
> after section_length is not. With the presence of ony-byte adaptation
> field the situation is reverted: datagram_section is not aligned while
> data started after section_length is.

Now I can give another reply. Recenly I received new IP inserter. This device
has such option: Stuffing using adapation field.  I didn't check it yet but I
can suggest that the adaptation field is used to eliminate the use of
stuffing_byte when this option is set.

--
Best regards,
Alexander Nasonov